Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Breakfast at a Thai Place?

I spent my Saturday morning enjoying this satisfying steak and egg breakfast at Chill Out Cafe on Maple St. in New Orleans.  This small cafe boasts serving a  "Breakfast and Asian Fusion" on its sign.  The word fusion made me think I would be consuming some kind of bacon and hash brown spring roll. However, this is unfortunately (fortunately?) not the case. Instead, Chill Out Cafe offers a plethora of mainstream Thai dishes ranging from the classic "pad thai" to more sultry dishes such as eggplant curries as well as a nice selection of classic American breakfast options.  While my breakfast was comparatively simple to most dishes served at the restaurant, it was done quite well.  The steak was seared perfectly, giving it a nice charred crust while still maintaining tenderness, a trait uncommon for most breakfast steaks.  The eggs were a beautiful bright yellow hue, and had a buttery velvet texture that made me hate my mother for all the years I ate dry scrambled eggs.  The bread, toasted lightly with a dab of butter, was a nice starchy way to fill out the meal and prompted me to make a delicious steak and egg sandwich which seemed to confuse our young thai waitress.  The meal was a nice way to start my morning, and I will definitely be coming back in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great place. You start to dig into the question of why breakfast at a Thai restaurant, so maybe you need to turn the corner and ask questions of the waitress. I will take no responsibility for any friction this course creates between you and your mother!

    ReplyDelete